Prof. Zhen-Gang Yang
Vice Director of IOBS
Dr. Zhengang Yang is a professor at the Institute of Brain Science (IOBS), Fudan University. He was born in May 1970 in Hebei Province, China, received Ph.D in July 2003 from the Shandong University School of Medicine. He was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine and UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School from February 2004 to February 2007. On March 1st, 2007, he joined IOBS as a Junior Principal Investigator. His principal research interests are understanding molecular mechanisms regulating division and differentiation of neural stem/progenitor cells in the embryonic brain, postnatal and adult subventricular zone; the development of the forebrain and olfactory bulb; and brain repair after injuries.
Neural stem cells and neural development
1. Zhang Y, Liu G, Guo T, Liang XG, Du H, Yang L, Bhaduri A, Li X, Xu Z, Zhang Z, Li Z, He M, Tsyporin J, Kriegstein AR, Rubenstein JL, Yang Z*, Chen B*(2020). Cortical Neural Stem Cell Lineage Progression Is Regulated by Extrinsic Signaling Molecule Sonic Hedgehog. Cell Rep. 30 (13): 4490-4504.
2. Guo T, Liu G, Du H, Wen Y, Wei S, Li Z, Tao G, Shang Z, Song X, Zhang Z, Xu Z, You Y, Chen B, Rubenstein JL, Yang Z*(2019). Dlx1/2 are Central and Essential Components in the Transcriptional Code for Generating Olfactory Bulb Interneurons. Cereb Cortex. 29 (11): 4831-4849.
3. Liu Z, Zhang Z, Lindtner S, Li Z, Xu Z, Wei S, Liang Q, Wen Y, Tao G, You Y, Chen B, Wang Y, Rubenstein JL, Yang Z*(2019). Sp9 Regulates Medial Ganglionic Eminence-Derived Cortical Interneuron Development. Cereb Cortex. 29 (6): 2653-2667.
4. Xu Z, Liang Q, Song X, Zhang Z, Lindtner S, Li Z, Wen Y, Liu G, Guo T, Qi D, Wang M, Wang C, Li H, You Y, Wang X, Chen B, Feng H, Rubenstein JL, Yang Z*(2018). SP8 and SP9 coordinately promote D2-type medium spiny neuron production by activating Six3 expression.Development. 145(14). pii: dev165456.
5. Sorrells SF, Paredes MF, Cebrian-Silla A, Sandoval K, Qi D, Kelley KW, James D, Mayer S, Chang J, Auguste KI, Chang EF, Gutierrez AJ, Kriegstein AR, Mathern GW, Oldham MC, Huang EJ, Garcia-Verdugo JM*, Yang Z*, Alvarez-Buylla A*(2018). Human hippocampal neurogenesis drops sharply in children to undetectable levels in adults. Nature. 555 (7696):377-381.